httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <bak...@web.turner.com>
Subject Re: mod_cache performance
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:11:24 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> squid was really inefficient both CPU and network-wise.

Under load, squid will always use 100% of the CPU.  This is because it
uses poll/select.

> The squid numbers *completely* baffle me.  I have to believe I've got
> something stupid configured in squid (or I did something stupid with
> flood; but the network traces and truss output convince me
> otherwise).  My squid is using the default RHEL3 installation (Squid
> Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE3).

RHEL 3 sucks.  Fedora Core 2 would have been a much better choice.
Also, did you use poll?  I know a large website that does several dozen
hits per day using squid :)

On an OS that supports sendfile, a disk based cache will almost always
bury a memory based one.

--
Brian Akins
Senior Systems Engineer