httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Taking a broom to our modules was Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 14:01:18 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Sounds a like job for someone.  How about nominating modules for removal
> in 2.1, or at the very least split them off to an 'unmaintained'
> distribution? We can leave them there, but boot them out of our 'core'
> distribution.  2.0 saw the introduction of mod_dav and mod_ssl - two
> fairly large modules, but no real reductions elsewhere.

Reduction for reduction's sake doesn't achieve anything on it's own.

> My #1 vote is to throw mod_rewrite clear off the island.

Whether something gets booted off the island should be based on lack of
users, not an apparent lack of maintenance.

A lack of maintenance could be caused by a number of things: the code
works, and if it's not broken it doesn't need to be fixed (aka
maintained); or the errors that do exist in the code are not major
enough to inspire anybody to step forward and fix them.

If a module is to be deprecated, then a sensible alternative needs to be
provided. Just chopping out modules for the sake of chopping just leaves
annoyed users, and this: people saying "we're sticking with Apache v1.3,
because v2.0 can't do XXX".

Regards,
Graham