httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: POST without Content-Length
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:50:13 GMT
> On the contrary!  I myself have done a great deal of work on a proxy
> for mobile devices, for a household-name Client.  The client software
> makes certain assumptions of the proxy that would not be valid on the
> Web at large.  But the backend *is* the web at large.

But then the client is either using non-standard HTML forms or
non-standard HTTP, neither of which is our concern.  It doesn't make
any sense to code a general proxy that assumes all chunked requests are
meant to be length-delimited just because someone might write
themselves a custom client that sends everything chunked.  Those
people can write their own proxies (or at least configure them to
be sub-optimal).

....Roy