httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [AJP] proxy status
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:40:52 GMT
On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:35:53AM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> The idea when starting the ajp-proxy was to get it in httpd HEAD.
> The first developpement were done in j-t-c (jakarta-tomcat-connectors) only
> because Henri, Mladen and I don't have commit in httpd and we wanted
> something running for testing very quicky.
>
> Now the code is at its right place and we (as Jakarta committers) have to
> submit patches. (That is what we had done to get the commit rights in
> Jakarta).

Compared to somebody new to the ASF, committers from other Apache projects
should have a lower bar to reaching commit access. ASF Members should have
an even lower bar than that.

This is based on the assumption that the committer has already shown they
are somewhat clueful by virtue of their commit rights. That said, the bar
is set at different levels among the projects which is why commit access
isn't a pure given, but it should definitely be lower. Members have an
even lower bar because the assumption is that their prolonged dedication
has presumably implied they aren't idiots. Also, to some extent, a Member
is responsible for ALL code at the ASF, so it makes some sense for them to
be able to fix things wherever they might be borken.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/