httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: POST without Content-Length
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:28:14 GMT
>> If the client sent chunks, then it is safe to assume that the proxy
>> can send chunks as well.  Generally speaking, user agents only send
>> chunks to applications that they know will accept chunks.
>
> The client could be sending chunks precisely because it's designed to
> work with a proxy that is known to accept them.  That doesn't imply
> any knowledge of the backend(s) proxied, which might be anything up to
> and including the 'net in general.

Theoretically, yes.  However, in practice, that is never the case.
Either a user agent is using generic stuff like HTML forms, which
will always result in a content-length if there is a body, or it
is using custom software designed to work with custom server apps.
There are no other real-world examples, and thus it is safe to use
chunks if the client used chunks.

> Also bear in mind that we were discussing (also) the case where the
> request came with C-L but an input filter invalidated it.

I was not discussing that case.  The answer to that case is "don't do
that".
Fix the input filter if it is doing something stupid.

....Roy