httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: httpd-2.2 release roadmap v0.1
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:28:15 GMT
--On Thursday, August 12, 2004 2:10 AM +0200 André Malo <nd@perlig.de> wrote:

> There are also some showstoppers in 2.1 which I don't see resolved until
> Oct 1 or Nov 1. IIRC Nick had also a kind of roadmap (?) posted some weeks
> ago.This one should also reviewed.

Well, progress isn't going to happen by just talking about it.  People need to
come up with code patches.  ;-)

I honestly don't think we need to wait for any features or whatnot.  Place a
hard deadline: if you don't make it by October 1st in *and* it's not an
agreed-upon 'release showstopper' in STATUS, then too bad: wait for 2.4.  (How
long has my mod_auth rewrite been sitting in 2.1?  *sigh*)

> As a better way I think, we should start to write down, what our plans for
> 2.2 really *are*. Just to say "feature freeze" is not really enough (and
> experience shows, that it doesn't work)

My short-term goal for 2.2 is mod_cache out of experimental.  It's probably
close enough now (at least mod_cache and mod_disk_cache) that I think we could
move it out now with the intention of fixing up the remaining bugs and RFC
violations in time for any 2.2 cycle.  (mod_mem_cache strikes me as being way
too complicated and with a lot of potential for subtle race conditions.)

My biggest problem is a lack of access to networking equipment: which I'm in
the process of resolving (ever so slowly).  The people who already seem to
have the network don't want to run HEAD snapshots, so that sort of defeats my
intention of getting mod_cache running even faster for 2.2.  However, I think
it may make sense to put the performance aside for a bit and focus on the RFC
compliance in mod_cache for a bit.

I really think the mod_auth stuff makes it sooooo much easier to write aaa
backends, that we're doing a great disservice to our module writers by holding
back on 2.2 even by a single day.  ;-)  -- justin