httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:29:06 GMT
Wayne Frazee wrote:

> Please pardon me for attempting to marshall the obvious however what is
> the advantage of AJP/1.x over HTTP?

- binary protocol - it used to be more efficient to process it in java,
but now it's no longer a major issue
- bidirectional - it's not used only for request/response forwarding
- ability to pass more than the request itself - like information about
authentication, etc.

AJP is more like XDR or DCOP, used for inter-process communication. But
the main use is to forward requests and responses.

> Why is it worth the development time of apache volunteers?

I think some apache-tomcat volunteers are willing to spend the time,
they just ask apache-httpd volunteers for advice and help :-)

> And why is AJP so advantageous over HTTP/1.1 that we should redesign
> existing modules to use it?

That was one of the ideas - to extend mod_proxy. I'm not sure it's the
best solution, it may be better to keep mod_proxy simple :-)

Costin