httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: Enhance mod_headers as a debug/test tool
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:03:48 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
> > My proposal is to introduce an additional DEBUG keyword to the
> > Header and RequestHeader directives.  Headers marked as DEBUG will
> > be set in post_read_request, so they are available to other modules.
> > Without DEBUG, it will default to current (fixups) behaviour.
> >
> > Of course, DEBUG won't work with conditional (Request)Header directives.
> > In addition to documenting this, attempts to do so will log a warning.
>
> Sounds like a good tool. comments from me:
>
> - I would not call it DEBUG, but "early" or "setearly" or the like

I agree. Note that if you add this, people will use it for things other
than debugging.  For example, there are frequently requests to do silly
things like ignore the client's Accept header.

> - I'd just replace the env clause with that keyword (i.e. mutual exlusion)
> - post_read_request is *really* early. So these directives would be only valid
> in server context / virtual host.

Of course, for these reasons, people won't be able to do as much mangling
as they want.  So this feature would need to be carefully documented.

Joshua.