httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Question/Proposal concerning the Apache download page
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:03:56 GMT

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Sascha Kersken wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> wouldn't it be a nice idea to make the http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
> script accept the name of the requested file (e.g. httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz) as
> path info and pass it to the automatically selected mirror? This would allow
> everyone to link to any specific download file without having to choose a
> single mirror in advance.

There is another script (with the same back-end) that does almost this.
See, for example:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/httpd/httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz

This presents a list rather than directing you to a single mirror.  The
problems with just sending a redirect are: 1. you have no alternatives if
the mirror happens to be bad, and 2. it is not clear enough that the
download is coming from a mirror, not apache.org.  (Our mirrors are not
trusted, so it is important that people realize they are using a mirror
and must check signatures against the apache.org site.)

Joshua.