httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for Smart Filtering
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:34:02 GMT
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > (2) I propose getting rid of it because I cannot see any circumstance
> >     in which it's necessary in an output filter.
>
> But you still need a simple way for an output filter to run some code
> before the content handler gets invoked.

Fair enough.  Then you register it unconditionally using the old API.

>	  FWIW I've been advising output
> filter authors that want to get at libapreq2's post data to use
> filter_init for that:
>
>   http://cvs.apache.org/~joes/libapreq2-2.04-dev/docs/html/apreq_faq.html
>
> If there's a better approach, I'd be glad to update those docs.

Wouldn't an ap_hook_insert_filter() handler be the ideal spot for that?

But anyway, if there is a valid need for filter_init in its present
form in some output filters, we can still use it, provided we document
why it might be inefficient to use it with dynamic configuration.

--
Nick Kew