httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for Smart Filtering
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:53:04 GMT
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Um, could you please explain that bit about te need to remove
> filter-init from the API?  That hook plays a pivotal role in
> libapreq2's input filter mod_apreq.  mod_apreq needs to examine
> the entire input filter stack and modify it under certain
> conditions.  This cannot be done in-flight, during ap_get_brigade.

Ah.  Two answers to that one:

(1) I'm only really considering output filters.  Input filters
    can't depend on the handler, so the dynamic configuration
    discussed is not relevant to them.

(2) I propose getting rid of it because I cannot see any circumstance
    in which it's necessary in an output filter.  But it's not a
    requirement of the proposed archictecture, except insofar as
    it saves the overhead of a filter initialising when it's not
    going to be run.

--
Nick Kew