httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:14:21 GMT
At 06:12 AM 7/21/2004, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
>> I see no point on making significant effort in a feature that
>> can only be used for one protocol, that's a huge waste of an
>> opportunity to solve the load balancing problems of backends
>> other than tomcat.
>
>Quite contraty, this is the main reason. We already have jk2 that can be
>used even for proxying HTTP requests. Are you wiling to write the http
>protocol for mod_jk2?

Because most casual observations have indicated that a solution of
mod_proxy -> tomcat  outperforms  mod_jk2 -> tomcat, this can't make
that much sense.  jk2 is first and foremost a port of jk to use apr, but
remains in the apache1.3 model.  By jumping up to mod_proxy and
adopting everything that structure has to offer, I would finally expect
ajp to outperform http as a connector to tomcat.

Bill