httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: Move apache-1.3 to Subversion
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:36:40 GMT
At 10:50 PM 7/15/2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>I agree, here, with Joe.  Wondering if it's an appropriate
>alternative.
>
>I'm facing similar, with a subproject entering incubation, and I'd
>like to know our decision here, before I go and create a subproject
>structure under /httpd/ that turns out to be wonky.
>
>is /trunk/httpd/ an appropriate solution?  This bit me, trying to
>check out some /incubation/ stuff.

Everything I've seen on source control strategies recommends stuff
like:
/httpd/trunk/
/httpd/branches/
etc.

This seems to make the most sense to me from an organizational
standpoint, especially once you start adding other top level projects.

As an example:

/apr/trunk/
/apr-util/trunk/
/httpd/trunk/

makes a heck of a lot more sense than

/trunk/httpd/
/trunk/apr/
/trunk/apr-util/

since the logical grouping is by project, then by whether it's the
trunk or a branch, and then by the name of the branch.

Someone that doesn't know the organization of the source may make
this mistake once, if it's not well documented, or if they don't read
the docs first.  After that, they'll probably never make that mistake
again.  With the other direction, you'll constantly have to deal with
the illogical organization.