httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:57:07 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:

> BTW, could we expect to be able to use in proxy_ajp URL like
> ajp://VIRTUALNAME, where VIRTUALNAME could be the name of an
> AJP cluster backend ?

That would be up to proxy_ajp to decide, so yes.

What happens is that when the config says

ProxyPass /myApp ajp://VIRTUALNAME

and the user requests the URL /myApp/index.jsp, proxy will give
proxy_ajp an URL that looks like this:

ajp://VIRTUALNAME/index.jsp

It's up to proxy_ajp to understand what that means.

> Also could we expect the handling of failure via mod_proxy + proxy_xxx ,
> ie: when a tomcat respond 503 or 400, to be able to switch to another
> tomcat in the cluster. It's a mandatory feature for now.

Proxy already loops around and tries again on connection failure to a
different server in the backend. If proxy cannot handle a 503 or a 400,
then it can be made to handle it - again it's a feature that would be
really useful regardless of the protocol.

Regards,
Graham