httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:35:25 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Mladen Turk wrote:
>
>> I don't think that it is necessary for a mod_ajp to be included inside
>> the
>> mod_proxy, although they are sharing some common concepts.
>

> I think it's very necessary - sharing those common concepts ultimately
> makes for doing things in a consistent way. It makes a big difference to
> the usability of httpd.
>
> Right now proxy is able to talk HTTP and FTP (and CONNECT, but it's a
> special case). It makes the most sense for AJP to be added to these
> three protocols, as there is already an established way to do this.
>
> Consistency is very important.
>
>> Having load
>> balancer on top of mod_proxy would be a nice feature, but the main
>> purpose
>> for them is different.
>

> Different to what? Load balancing is load balancing, whether the backend
> protocol is HTTP, AJP or FTP.
>
> I see no point on making significant effort in a feature that can only
> be used for one protocol, that's a huge waste of an opportunity to solve
> the load balancing problems of backends other than tomcat.
>
>> The purpose of mod_ajp is to communicate with the (one or more of them
>> in a
>> cluster) application servers using ajp13+ protocol; simple as that. Proxy
>> module has a conceptually different approach, and it is meant to be
>> used for
>> different purposes.
>

> I rewrote proxy, so I know - proxy has the exact same conceptual
> approach and is used for the exact same purposes. Proxy allows you to
> communicate with (one or more in a cluster) applications servers using
> HTTP or FTP. The only difference is the protocol.
>
> The development of proxy_ajp could see the development of modules like
> proxy_loadbalance or proxy_sticky, which have general application
> outside of the AJP protocol.

Make sense of course. And if proxy_loadbalance and proxy_sticky are
somewhat configurable, it will be to the benefits all of Apache 2 users,
dependless HTTP/FTP/AJP.

BTW, could we expect to be able to use in proxy_ajp URL like
ajp://VIRTUALNAME, where VIRTUALNAME could be the name of an
AJP cluster backend ?

Also could we expect the handling of failure via mod_proxy + proxy_xxx ,
ie: when a tomcat respond 503 or 400, to be able to switch to another
tomcat in the cluster. It's a mandatory feature for now.