httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:22:22 GMT
André Malo wrote:

> Where's the user base of mod_imap (installed by default) or mod_cern_meta or
> the old outdated NCSA config directives? We add and add and add code -- which
> is not actually bad. But where's the man with the broom?

The issue of unmaintained code is an important issue, but not one which
should stop us considering new code. Whether mod_rewrite is maintained
or not has nothing to do with a potential proxy_ajp, a module which by
virtue of the volume of the discussion on it is certainly not going to
have any maintenance issues any time soon. :)

But at the end of the day guys with brooms are not what is important, it
is the end users, whether there are any, and whether they're satisfied.
If the code works and the users are happy, there is no need for a broom.

> Just to make sure, I'm not finally against adding a new module. But IMHO the
> much better way should be to improve the integration of TP modules rather than
> to put all of them in the core distribution.

Thing is it's easier for end users to not have to mess around with third
party builds if it can possibly be avoided, and it's the needs of the
end users who are the most important, not the developers.

The fact that the current module has to be built separately is a huge
issue for the users of the module, making such a module a built in
addition to proxy will make people's lives easier.

Regards,
Graham