httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Herberts <Mathias.Herbe...@iroise.net>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:04:27 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev wrote:

> We in production environment, replaced mod_jk with mod_proxy a long time ago.
> It performed faster and it scaled to more concurrent users. So there was no benefit to
the AJP protocol.
> All we would like to see, is to enable load balancing on either mod_rewrite or mod_proxy,
and then we have everything we want

Load balancing as achieved by mod_jk is more than pure HTTP load
balancing in that it has provision for a concept that has been called
(by Bernt Koecke and myself) local workers, and this concept allows the
dispatching of requests to special groups of Tomcat workers possibly
closer network-wise to the Apache instance receiving the HTTP request.

Session affinity is also a feature that would have to be kept.

My company manages several heavy sites using Apache/Tomcat in a load
balanced configuration, we serve online banking and online trading
clients and have been quite satisfied with our setup for four years now.

Mathias.