httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:31:04 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> It's now time to refactor and redesign it with Apache 2.x (APR/AP) in
>> mind to follow Apache 2.x admins habbits and try to make something
>> simpler.
>>
>> We came on httpd-dev for advice from experts, and may be an
>> extended mod_proxy could be the solution. But we also want to keep
>> the AJP/1.3 and AJP/1.4 protocols since it works well and so a pure
>> HTTP proxy is only part of the game.
>

> I think any module that speaks ajp/1.X should be called mod_ajp, keeps
> things simple and clean.

We agree and I wonder if a mod_ajp could be used in conjunction with
mod_proxy ? A sort of alternative way to route requests to tomcat.

>> - Could mod_proxy be open to support AJP/1.x as tomcat connections ?
>

> I don't think mod_proxy should support ajp, rather a dedicated ajp
> module should.

We agree.

> But I'm still not convinced a separate protocol is needed when HTTP
> exists and is supported already.
>
> The "httpd serves the static content" feature can be implemented through
> extending ProxyPass to support regular expressions, for example:
>
> ProxyPass /myWebapp/*.jsp http://tomcat/myWebapp/
>
> I'm not sure if persistent connections over and above HTTP/1.1
> keepalives is that useful.

Well let see my suggestion :

ProxyPass /myWebapp/*.jsp ajp://myajpworker/

myajpworker is not a machine but a virtual resource which could be :

- a physical Tomcat using its AJP/1.3 connector

- a cluster of physical Tomcats using their AJP/1.3 connector

And via AJP/1.4 we could make Apache 2 learn about cluster updates
in real-time.

Could we have this kind of Virtual Forward service used with mod_proxy ?