httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: The Byterange filter -- a new design -- feel free to rip it to shreds
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:22:20 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

> As far as I can tell the byterange filter should handle all such cases
> correctly already: read ap_set_byterange() - it punts on a non-200
> r->status or when r->headers_out contains a Content-Range header etc.
> Is this side-discussion just theoretical pondering or is there some real
> issue you're trying to solve?

When you say "it punts" what do you mean - that it removes itself from
the filter stack (as in "my work here is already done")? If this is the
case, then it works correctly already.

The problem arises when large data sizes (say a 650MB CD ISO) are stored
in a multi-tier webserver architecture (mod_proxy in front of a backend,
for example), and somebody comes along and tries to download it using a
download accelerator, or they simply try to resume a failed download.

The full 650MB CD ISO is then transferred from the backend to the
frontend, which then pulls out the bits the frontend needs dumping the
rest. And this happens once for every single byte range request.

Regards,
Graham