httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Some Oprofile results
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:03:29 GMT
Brian Akins wrote:

> Jean-Jacques Clar wrote:
>
>> Would you please share with us some info on that
>> optimized caching module.
>

> I'll say what I can.  I'm hoping I can GPL it.
>

>> Is mod_url_cache a modified copy of the current ones?
>

> No.  It borrows some ideas from various other modules, including
> mod_cache and mod_file_cache.
>
>> Why are the current ones not fulfilling your needs?
>

> In our situation, we know alot about the data that is being cached, so
> we can be more aggressive with caching.  mod_cache cannot cache url that
> end in /, so it would not help us.  Also, mod_cache (either disk or mem)
> were too slow for us.  mod_url_cache (I couldn't come up with a better
> name) can fill up two Gigabit interfaces on our Opterons and still have
> ~25% CPU idle time.

I'd certainly be interested in knowing how much faster mod_url_cache is as compared to
mod_cache/mod_mem_cache. The only way I can see to -dramatically- improve the performance
of
mod_cache/mod_mem_cache is to completely bypass i/o filters. I have some patches to mod_mem_cache
laying
around that give perhaps a 10% performance improvement by prebuilding headers and aligning
them on cache
boundaries, but 10% is not really that great.

Bill