httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mladen Turk" <mt...@apache.org>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:11:39 GMT

André Malo wrote:

> > William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > >
> > > This definitely breaks binary compatibility.
> > >
> > Moving the lb_limit to the end of the struct will not break
> the binary
> > compatibility. Correct?
>
> Not Correct. It *may* be the case. Depending on who allocates
> the stuff.

Can you explain that a bit.
Seems to me that there is a single ap_scoreboard_image->global, and it is
allocated when the scoreboard gets created.
IMO if the lb_limit is moved to the end of the struct it will not affect the
existing binaries.
Cannot speak on all builds but FreeBSD 4.1.10 and WIN32 are binary
compatible (mod_status is the only that directly uses global).

The only way where it might create problems is ap_scoreboard_image::servers
not global, for some 3rd party module that directly uses this pointer array
instead using ap_get_scoreboard_worker.

Scoreboard file format is not binary compatible for sure, and this is the
only part that might rise concerns, but only if that compatibility is
required after all.

MT.