httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: using APR_STATUS_IS_SUCCESS
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:14:46 GMT
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:08:05PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Basically, the macro is wrong and needs to be removed.  The contract
> that _all_ APR API's live up to is that on a successful result, they
> must return APR_SUCCESS.  The reason we chose to use 0 as success is
> simple:

Yup. The contract is that success is 0. There is no "system success" --
APR should translate any/all underlying success values into 0 upon return.

So I fully ocncur with the original design contract -- both in terms of
what the history and design said it should be, and how I (still) think it
should operate.

I'm with Ryan on calling that macro wrong, and just tossing it. We tossed
its use from SVN a long time ago and just relied on the ==0 contract.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/