httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Rudd <ed...@omegaware.com>
Subject Re: Inetd support in "wait" mode.
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:36:56 GMT
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:30:22 -0400, Norbert Veber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it would be a useful feature for apache to be able to run from
> inetd.  For sites with low traffic it doesn't make sense to have
> apache running 24 hours/day taking up memory while not actually
> servicing any requests.

1.7MB on my system.. Basic apache setup with php. that's not a lot of
memory. If you want it to use even less, just don't load unneeded modules,
and if you are using prefork, reduce the number of children (StartServers,
minSpareServers, MaxSpareServers)

> Would this be a good idea?  Comments/suggestions welcome.

Apache 1.3 (or maybe only 1.2) use to be able to run in Inetd mode but
this mode was removed from current versions, as no one really used it, and
two, the startup times make it really inefficient. It would use so much
more CPU cycles to start it up for every request. You would use much less
cycles by having the OS swap back in the apache memory from swap.

On test system or systems where apache isn't accessed all that much I use
this setup.

StartServer 1
MinSpareServers 1
MaxSpareServers 3

You may even want to reduce MaxClients and MaxRequestsPerChild too. but
just reducing the amount of children is fine. Though on Linux a 'forked'
child does not use much extra memory at all. (it may say it does in 'top'
but it's all memory from the parent process)