httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: I'd like to make some contributions
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:12:27 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Guernsey, Byron (GE Consumer & Industrial) wrote:

> Don't expect a quick response.  I submitted a feature patch to bugzilla
> over a month ago and it hasn't changed state from its "new" state or had
> any activity or ownership changes.  I posted a followup message here a
> few weeks later and have not received a single response.  I continue to
> read messages here to see if this process described in the below URL
> actually works or if I just need to maintain separate patches for the
> version we use at GE indefinitely- something I don't want to do...

> 	Details how code patches should be submitted are described at
> 	http://httpd.apache.org/dev/patches.html

Perhaps this page needs a section entitled "What to do if my patch gets
ignored".  It could go something like this:

Because Apache has only a small number of volunteer developers, and these
developers are often very busy, it is possible that your patch will not
receive any immediate feedback.  Here are some suggestions on what you can
do in this case:

1. Encourage other Apache users to review and test your patch, and then
append a note to the bug report with the details.  Developers are much
more likely to review and commit a patch if they see that it has been
widely tested.

2. Post to the developers list with the bug number included as specified
above, pointing out your patch and why you feel it is important.  Feel
free to do this about once a week and continue until you get a response.
Just be sure to be polite about it, since the developers are unlikely to
respond to rude messages.

Joshua.