httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Better error logging for mod_access
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2004 16:57:55 GMT

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Rici Lake wrote:
> > What about keeping the old error message, but logging an *additional*
> > message at loglevel debug with the additional info?
>
> That is certainly possible but I was trying to make things as easy as possible
> for newbies. I think having both modules available, and using a -D flag to
> select which one to load would probably work out better. But that is just one
> person's opinion.

I can say with relative certainty that you won't get people to agree to
that solution.  It involves a bunch of new complexity (distributing and
compiling two almost-identical modules) for one new debugging feature.
Opening httpd.conf and finding the LogLevel directive, which appears only
once, should be relatively easy.

> > - You'll get more people to read your patches if you use "diff -u".
>
> Tastes vary.

Yes, tastes vary.  But Apache has a "defined" taste:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/patches.html

Joshua.