httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Better error logging for mod_access
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2004 14:29:13 GMT

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> ricilake@speedy.com.pe wrote:
>
> > The patch here: <http://drbacchus.com/files/access_logging_patch.txt> for
> > 2.0.49 creates logs that look like this:
> >
> > [Fri May 28 22:19:16 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.49 (Unix) configured --
> > resuming
> > normal operations
> > [Fri May 28 22:19:24 2004] [error] [client 192.168.1.33] client denied by
> > order directive at line 362 of /opt/apache2/conf/httpd.conf for:
> > /opt/apache2/htdocs/bar
>
> What about enabling via a per-dir directive?  Looks very useful, but some sites
>   might have a significant number of new entries in error log serving no useful
> purpose (for them).

The problem with per-dir is that the user might not know exactly where in
the config file he should be editting.  If they did, they probably
wouldn't have a problem finding the relevant allow/deny in the first
place.

What about keeping the old error message, but logging an *additional*
message at loglevel debug with the additional info?

Two other notes:
- Personally, I hate arbitrary path-size limitations.  They always bite
you when you least expect it.  What about dynamically sizing this?
- You'll get more people to read your patches if you use "diff -u".

Joshua.