httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/echo mod_echo.c
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:00:01 GMT
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Joe Orton wrote:

> Hmmm, doing anything with a brigade after you pass it on to the next
> filter surely breaks the golden "caller relinquishes ownership of the
> brigade" rule for using ap_pass_brigade()?

I'm saying I thought the rule was expressly opposite that.  :)

> core_output_filter destroys the brigade - if it didn't, the patches I
> posted wouldn't be sufficient to fix the memory consumption problem.
> The alternative is to go through and find all the places where brigades
> are created and add _destroy calls everywhere as necessary.  That would
> perhaps be safer by not breaking existing filters, but it seems ugly and
> would also surely just leave more memory leaks waiting to happen...

Lemme ponder that and check around to see if we explicitly said anywhere
that you were supposed to be able to keep old brigades after passing them.
My main concern is that if we keep your changes as-is, it might mean we're
constrained not to backport those changes to the APACHE_2_0_BRANCH because
of breaking backward compatibility.