httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache HTTP Server 2.0.50-rc2 tarballs available for testing
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:31:47 GMT
Referring to our own license's redistribution requirements;

4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works
thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided
that You meet the following conditions:
    * You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License;
and
    * You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed
the files; and
    * You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all
copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding
those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
    * If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its distribution, then any Derivative
Works that You distribute must include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained
within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative
Works, in at least one of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed as part
of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or documentation, if provided along with the
Derivative Works; or, within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and wherever
such third-party notices normally appear. The contents of the NOTICE file are for informational
purposes only and do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution notices within
Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from
the Work, provided that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed as modifying
the License.
It's pretty clear that LICENSE and NOTICE must accompany any distribution,
from the ASF or a third party, e.g. an RPM.

Refer to http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html  --- especially;

  To apply the ALv2 to a new software distribution, include one copy of
  the license text by copying the file:

  <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt>http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

  into a file called LICENSE in the top directory of your distribution.
  If the distribution is a jar or tar file, try to add the LICENSE file first
  in order to place it at the top of the archive.

  In addition, a NOTICE file should be included in the same directory as
  the LICENSE file. [...]
So it seems that burying LICENSE (and NOTICE) within ./manual/ for
our binary distributions (unpacked into /opt/asf/apache2/ or wherever)
just doesn't cut it.

But obviously, if I'm dropping httpd into /usr/local/ (bin/, lib/, etc) this
would be patently absurd to place LICENSE into /usr/local/.  Thoughts?

At 02:16 PM 6/24/2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>At 01:18 PM 6/24/2004, Graham Leggett wrote:
>>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>Graham, silly question.  When it deploys as an RPM, do we also copy
>>>LICENSE and NOTICE to some appropriate spot?  This tripped me in
>>>the latest updates - was moving the LICENSE and not NOTICE in the
>>>time since that second file was introduced.
>>
>>Just checked: Neither our RPM nor the Redhat one (on which our RPM was originally
based) include either LICENCE or NOTICE.