httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Windows HTTP API
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:46:40 GMT

>ASP.NET is a better choice for a web application because it's easier to be
>used by a programer.:)

Religious discussions are off-topic on this list...

>However ASP.NET uses IIS 6 and IIS 6 uses HTTP API so
>nothing will be faster. But Apache HTTPD is a web server not a web
>application.

Yes but you can plug ASP.NET into any server, including Apache.  Not
trivial, but a project in incubation (waiting for my SVN skill to increase
to the point that it starts out as the sole version control system for
the subproject) will offer this as open-source with Apache.  Actually
anyone could create the thunks required to host ASP.NET.  Heck, there is a command line host
;)

>Reply to the long quote about cache:
>In fact HTTP has a cache but you have to store buffers in the cache and you
>have to make HTTP API to send the cached buffer. It will not send cached
>response automatically.

I thought the entire point was that it was smart enough to act like a
squid-like low level in-kernel cache?  If not I'm disappointed :)

Bill