httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Windows HTTP API
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:16:12 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> At 11:47 AM 6/21/2004, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for the interesting references and citations.
>>>Apache HTTP server works at a lower level, below the layer exposed
>>>by this http.dll API.  To actually use this interface would require a few
>>>things;
>>>1a) Either support the http channel with the apr_socket_foo() API (this
>>>    is not a great option - because the interface is too high level and
>>>    cannot be polled, etc)
>>>1b) or Implement an alternative core filter schema which works at the
>>>    http.dll API layer
>>
>>1c) Use the apr_iol patch posted to the mailing list long ago. Reimplimenting core_filter
is not practically feasible (unless you have -lots- of time to waste maintaining and debugging
a new core_filter).

> Scratch my proposal 1a) - your solution 1c) is the obvious choice if the
> user attempted to do this within apr...
>
> But it's not practical, in this case because http.dll isn't just another low-level
> interface, but a very high-level interface of an full http provider.  And it turns
> out, core_filters are fairly trivial and the right solution.  If anything is busted
> in the implementation of core_filter logic (that led you to claim it wasn't
> terribly practical), wouldn't 2.2 be the time to get this right?

I tried for a few months (a few years ago) to maintain custom core_*_filters to interface
to IBM's Windows
kernel resident caching GET engine and it was -way- more trouble than it was worth. Apache
core*filters are a
moving target and I spent a huge amount of time debugging problems in both the customer filters
and the apache
core filters. The apr_iol patch solved the problem for me perfectly. The apr_iols allowed
me to use the Apache
core filters and benefit directly from all the testing provided by the user community. Using
apr_iol reduced
the size and most importantly the complexity of the custom code I had to maintain. I know
nothing about the
httpd.dll, so maybe iols would be useful, or maybe not. They were useful for me for a similar
(in concept)
application. YMMV.

Bill