httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <>
Subject Re: Any plans for RFC3744
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:28:32 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> storage on the server, and/or DBM database. The problem here is that any
> ACL changes would need to reach all the Apache child processes. IPC is a
> bitch, so dropping the stuff on the disk is best, where the processes can
> see what the "current" state is.

Once I developed an IPC module, based on thin patches that I did in
mpm_common.c. Currently, this module can be used to stop / restart /
graceful the server (from a module!), of course after checking that the
requester has the right privileges for that (sorry, I failed to develop
a "run" option too ;-)

I'll be happy to contribute this module (and mainly the small patch in
mpm_common.c) to the source tree.

After including it, special versions of apr_table and apr_array can be
written, that will support multi-process/thread; When SHM can't be
used, my module can be used to tell the different processes to refresh
their copy of the table/array.

This way can minimize the overhead and time response needed to read
values from the table/array (in comparison to an external file or DBM).

Of course, the overhead of writes (=modifications) will still be high,
but I assume that the ratio between reads and writes is usually
thousands or even more. So it's not an issue.

Please let me know if it's interesting anybody.

Eli Marmor
CTO, Founder
Fax.:   +972-9-766-1314          P.O.B. 7004
Mobile: +972-50-23-7338          Kfar-Saba 44641, Israel

View raw message