httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: dynamic hook ordering
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:29:33 GMT

Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>

>>I wanted to ping everyone about an idea I've been throwing around for a few
>>months now.  I'd like the ability to shuffle the declared hook ordering
>>around, most likely during the post-config phase.
>

> There was some discussion about this or something at least vaguely like it
> a while back, but nobody ever got around to implementing it.
>
> See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=106637026719893&w=2

ah, cool.  I totally missed that.  thanks.

I think I have most of the --list-hooks stuff done already, if in a crude
form.  the debugging code in the module ends up looking like this:

[info] found module mod_unique_id.c scheduled for hook
HookPostReadRequestHandler
[info] found module mod_setenvif.c scheduled for hook HookPostReadRequestHandler
[info] found module mod_perl.c scheduled for hook HookTransHandler

so it's just a matter of making it decent.  you mention having an option for
httpd, so that's a good place for me to start with this.  -h is taken, so
how about a -k (hooK) command line option that would give something like this

post-read request:
  mod_unique_id.c
  mod_setenvif.c

translation:
  mod_perl.c

and so on.  it would need to be an option like configtest to get everything
I'd think.

> But sure, feel free, have at it.  :)

cool.  I'm really intrigued by ben's last comment, the hook-listing API - if
anyone has some ideas wrt what the API ought to look like from a user
perspective it would be a help.  or I could just code something up and we
can take it from there :)

--Geoff