httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Move apache-1.3 to Subversion
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:52:33 GMT
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

>>Badda bing, badda boom.  So my rsync fears were unfounded, it appears
>>it is trivial to mirror the repository?
>>
>>I'm much more comfortable with that news.  Is this more or less bandwidth
>>intensive than simply rsync'ing the repository files themselves?
>

> Much much much much more.  A tag in Subversion is an O(n) operation.
> checking out a tag is not.
>
> We need to get something in place to provide for rsync or rsync-like
> capabilities.

Perhaps making dumpfiles available (maybe diffy Subversion 1.1 style
dumps once they're released), or providing a libsvn_fs_fs version of the
repository for rsyncing.

Although since the ASF is using one large repository some hybrid might
be best, dumping and loading into smaller fsfs repositories for each
project which are available for rsyncing?

Whatever way is chosen, I don't think making bdb style repositories
available for rsync will do much good, too many platform/bdb version
issues to make it bulletproof.

-garrett