httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Dechunking code in Apache 2.0.49
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:52:43 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I think there's been soem discussion, onlist as well as via Bugzilla, on
> the best way to handle this. Personally, I think that if the client
> sent chunked, we should pass that through to the origin server.

As I remember, the client should try to remember whether the server
doesn't support HTTP/1.1, and not send chunked request bodies if so.

Trouble is, the client sees Apache, which is an HTTP/1.1 server. So it
always sends chunked request bodies, because Apache is all the client
sees. So simply passing on the client's chunked response to the origin
server (whether temporarily un-chunked en-route through the filter stack
or not) doesn't seem to me to be doing the right thing.

Unfortunately my copy of RFC2616 died along with my laptop harddrive, so
I can't check right now, but I will check the exact wording over the
weekend to be sure.

Regards,
Graham