httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Herberts <Mathias.Herbe...@iroise.net>
Subject Re: Dechunking code in Apache 2.0.49
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:36:33 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Mathias Herberts wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been deploying Apache 1.3 instances for many years now, relying
>> heavily on the mod_proxy / mod_rewrite couple to build our HTTP backbone.
>>
>> In the past year I've met a problem with the proxying of requests made
>> by MIDP (mobile devices) clients. Those requests were using
>> 'Transfer-Encoding: chunked' and mod_proxy in Apache 1.3 was not
>> willing to forward those requests correctly. I filed bug #17877 and
>> provided a patch providing a workaround for this situation. My patch
>> used REQUEST_CHUNKED_PASS instead of REQUEST_CHUNKED_ERROR in
>> mod_proxy.c and passed unchanged the 'Transfer-Encoding: chunked'
>> request header if it existed.
>>

> I think there's been soem discussion, onlist as well as via Bugzilla, on
> the best way to handle this. Personally, I think that if the client
> sent chunked, we should pass that through to the origin server.

That was my initial thought too, but what Joe Orton and graham Leggett
mentioned makes great sense, i.e. the filters expect dechunked data and
  passing it through would break stuff. The idea of reissueing a chunked
request if such a request was initially received seems to be the best
thing to do.

Mathias.