httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Herberts <Mathias.Herbe...@iroise.net>
Subject Dechunking code in Apache 2.0.49
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:02:05 GMT
Hi,

I've been deploying Apache 1.3 instances for many years now, relying
heavily on the mod_proxy / mod_rewrite couple to build our HTTP backbone.

In the past year I've met a problem with the proxying of requests made
by MIDP (mobile devices) clients. Those requests were using
'Transfer-Encoding: chunked' and mod_proxy in Apache 1.3 was not willing
to forward those requests correctly. I filed bug #17877 and provided a
patch providing a workaround for this situation. My patch used
REQUEST_CHUNKED_PASS instead of REQUEST_CHUNKED_ERROR in mod_proxy.c and
passed unchanged the 'Transfer-Encoding: chunked' request header if it
existed.

Even though there is a question in making mod_proxy pass hop by hop
headers to the origin server as being legitimate, this patch solved my
problem and has served us well since then.

I am now planning on rolling out Apache 2.0.49 and I am again faced with
a similar problem. This time the 2.0.49 server is using mod_proxy /
mod_rewrite / mod_dav and proxying DAV requests. DAV requests,
especially those using method PUT rely heavily on 'Transfer-Encoding:
chunked' as the data being PUT onto the DAV store might not have a known
size in advance. The problem mentionend in bug #17877 happens again, but
this time I do not see any easy way of patching httpd 2.0.49 as
REQUEST_CHUNKED_PASS and the associated code has been removed back in 2000!

Is this issue a known one (I've not found anything in the bug DB about
it apart from the bug I filed last year) or am I alone experiencing it?
Is there any roadmap to make mod_proxy support the forwarding of chunked
requests? Dechunking is really impractical in terms of memory
consumption, just consider a PUT request writing an image file for a
DVD, we're talking more than 4 gigs of data.

What is the position of the Apache community on the passing of 'hop by
hop' headers to origin servers by mod_proxy? The code in proxy_http.c
says 'RFC2616 13.5.1 says we should strip these headers', but RFC 2616
13.5.1 defines 'Hop-by-hop headers, which are meaningful only for a
single transport-level connection, and are not stored by caches or
  forwarded by proxies.' it never uses SHOULD or MUST as described in
RFC 2119 and therefore allowing mod_proxy to forward the
'Transfer-Encoding' header would not, IMHO, violate RFC 2616 13.5.1.

Any comment welcome,

regards,

Mathias.