httpd-dev mailing list archives

From André Malo>
Subject Re: Advice on bumping the mmn
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:52:33 GMT
* Jeff Trawick <> wrote:

> If Apache adds new field to end of request_rec, that is minor bump, correct?
> Existing modules should continue to work unchanged but modules can choose to
> look at MMN at compile time to see they are being built to work with newer
> Apache and can look at that field.

That's the question. IMHO it's a major bump. It's not strictly binary
compatible, because an existing module could *allocate* the old struct and
pass it to a part of code which is aware of the additional field and wants to
read or write it -> kaboom.

> In this case, a new field was added to end of a different structure passed
> to modules, but why is it different than adding to end of request_rec?

It's not.

... but when did we add a field to request_rec the last time?

sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }
           print the answer
# André Malo # #