httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Move apache-1.3 to Subversion
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:06:27 GMT
On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:30:40PM -0500, Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 12:30, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Badda bing, badda boom.  So my rsync fears were unfounded, it appears
> > it is trivial to mirror the repository?

um. no. "mirroring" in this fashion is awful in the extreme.

> > I'm much more comfortable with that news.  Is this more or less bandwidth
> > intensive than simply rsync'ing the repository files themselves?
>
> Much much much much more.  A tag in Subversion is an O(n) operation.
> checking out a tag is not.

Oops. Fitz mis-typed. Tags are O(1). Very cheap. Very fast.

And yes: checking those babies out is not. If I went in and created an
hourly build tag, then ASF repository wouldn't even blink. But to some
fool trying to mirror the repository? They'd be CRUSHED.

> We need to get something in place to provide for rsync or rsync-like
> capabilities.

Yeup. The only really approach is to use Berkeley DB replication. You
can't just copy the database files via rsync since they must be copied in
a particular order. Further, the rsync'd copy is not necessarily viable.
All the data is there, but the copy requires a "recovery" before it is
useful. Thus, an rsync of the raw files doesn't really work.

Not to mention that the files change even without any commits occurring.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/