httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mathihalli, Madhusudan" <mad...@hp.com>
Subject RE: CGI scripts and mod_cgid/mod_cgi
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:11:41 GMT

: -----Original Message-----
: From: Jeff Trawick [mailto:trawick@attglobal.net]
: Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 5:50 AM
: To: dev@httpd.apache.org
: Subject: Re: CGI scripts and mod_cgid/mod_cgi
:
: Mathihalli, Madhusudan wrote:
: > Hello,
: >
: > Upon doing a "apachectl stop", shouldn't the CGI processes
: (forked by
: > mod_cgid or mod_cgi) also exit ?
:
: Is the problem when there is a long-running CGI (and active
: client connection) and the admin does "apachectl stop" and
: the MPM gives up waiting for worker threads to complete the
: current request and just exits without the transaction pools
: getting cleaned up?
:

That is a good question - I didn't go to that length for debugging.
A simple method to reproduce the problem is to invoke a cgi script that
sleeps for a long time (say 1000 sec). Then, when you do a apachectl
stop, the child httpd's exit, but the parent httpd holds on for sometime
and eventually times out. I don't know if it fails to do something.

-Madhu