httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <f...@red-bean.com>
Subject Re: Move apache-1.3 to Subversion
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 04:20:45 GMT

On Jun 6, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> FYI, Fitz did a conversion of apache-1.3, which is now located at
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/httpd/.  (in the test repository).
>
> wow, that's a lot of data - 10 minutes later and I'm still
> downloading...

Wait!  No! You don't want to check out
http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/httpd/ ... you want to check out
http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/httpd/trunk/

By checking out http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/httpd/, you're getting
one copy of the httpd source tree for every branch and tag!  That's a
LOT of data!

You may want to check out the Subversion book at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ (esp. Appendix A, Subversion for CVS
users).

> I guess it goes without saying that most of the people here are
> intimate
> with svn.  as someone who just started playing with it about a month
> ago,
> will there be httpd developer guidelines and hints someplace, or is the
> existing (copious) svn documentation about it?  for instance, I
> imagine that
> for routine patching, etc I'll only need to have a working copy of
> trunk?

You should never need to check out the root of the repository.
Typically, you check out trunk and use 'svn switch' to change your
working copy to a branch for branch work.  Oh, and branches and tags
are typically created without a working copy by operating on URLs.

-Fitz