httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: is it possible to mark buckets to be copied only when to be set-aside?
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 18:45:12 GMT
On Wed, 19 May 2004, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> can't just ignore APR_ENOTIMPL for bucket types, because pipe and socket
> buckets never had setaside implemented on them.  I thought I remembered
> that that was because Greg and Ryan and I had some huge debate about it
> and it was decided for some reason that setting aside a pipe or socket
> didn't make sense.  But now I can't find where we talked about that in the
> archives.

BTW - I remembered the reason why it was decided that it didn't make sense
to implement setaside for pipe/socket buckets.  It's because for all other
bucket types, setaside takes one bucket in and produces one bucket out,
whereas for pipes and sockets it would take one bucket in and either
produce one bucket if the lifetime request was already satisfied or it
would produce a chain of n buckets out where n is proportional to the size
of the data that had been waiting around to be read in the pipe/socket.
It was that inconsistency that was disliked.  At this point, I'm willing
to agree to whatever makes things work and would probably accept this
inconsistency as long as it's documented.  What we have now is bug-prone
beyond belief.

--Cliff