httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy distinguish cookies?
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 23:46:54 GMT
>> Rather just use URL parameters. As I recall RFC2616 does not consider
>> request with a different cookie a different variant, so even if you
>> patch your server to allow it to differentiate between cookies,
>> neither
>> the browsers nor the transparent proxies in the path of the request
>> will
>> do what you want them to do :(
>
> Well, that truly sucks. If you pass options around in params then
> whenever someone follows a link posted by someone else, they will
> inherit that person's options.

I do wish people would read the specification to refresh their memory
before summarizing.  RFC 2616 doesn't say anything about cookies -- it
doesn't have to because there are already several mechanisms for marking
a request or response as varying.  In this case

    Vary: Cookie

added to the response by the server module (the only component capable
of knowing how the resource varies) is sufficient for caching clients
that are compliant with HTTP/1.1.  Expires and Cache-Control are usually
added as well if HTTP/1.0 caches are a problem.

....Roy