httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.31 RC Tarballs available
Date Sat, 08 May 2004 05:41:03 GMT
On May 7, 2004, at 7:26 PM, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> But we're holding out on them. We're saying that we know
> better than they do. I don't think we do. Sure, we should be

In a way, we're holding out on them. However, I believe that a couple
of days time to sanity check an RC is IMHO not a bad thing. The last
thing we, as the Apache community, want is to have to retract a release
after a couple thousand people find fault with it.

I don't think many of us have the cycles for rigorous testing (I know I
don't), and we certainly cannot account for every platform and
configuration that our millions of users may be running the release in.
This is where the 'many eyeballs' and 'all bugs are shallow' stuff
comes in and yes, that is indeed one of the big strengths of the open
source model.

However, I still think staging a release so that a small number of
informed volunteers can see that the tarball unzips, signatures match
and that it builds and runs on their boxes, is a good thing. And
everyone can participate: subscribing to dev@httpd is open for
everyone, and the same holds for current-testers@ and stable-testers@.