httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: is it possible to mark buckets to be copied only when to be set-aside?
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 21:44:50 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>And a lot of pain and wasted time could be saved if all this was documented.
>

> I know.  :(
>

>>I'm not aware of such documentation's existance, besides very scarce notes in
>>the header files.
>

> The best documentation that exists, besides what's in the header files, is
> in the talk I gave on Bucket Brigades at ApacheCon 2002; see
> http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jcw5q/talks/ for links to the slides (ppt)
> and notes pages (pdf).  There are also links there to my slides from
> ApacheCon 2003, which discuss debugging buckets and brigades.  The second
> best bucket reference is a section in Chapter 13 of Ryan's book Apache
> Server 2.0: The Complete Reference, pp 310-322.  If anybody else knows of
> other resources, I'd love to know about them... but I suspect that's more
> or less it.  Right from the horses' mouths.  But unfortunately neither
> Ryan nor I were verbose enough in either case to really go into the kind
> of depth you're looking for.  Not that I don't agree it would be useful to
> have written down somewhere.

Thanks Cliff, I've been to both of your great talks :)

Perhaps someone on this list will take up an initiative to write such a
document, by first putting together the existing resources and then beef it up
to add the missing stuff. I'm sure Cliff and other filter gurus will be more
than helpful to answer any questions arising while working on such a document.

I'd have taken up that project by myself, but I'm already spread too thin and
must finish first the mod_perl 2.0 API docs before we can release 2.0.

To add to Cliff's list of resources, mod_perl 2.0 filter documentation is
pretty extensive and perhaps it's the easiest to start with filters by writing
them in perl. For more information see:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/filters.html

p.s. may be rbb will be willing to contribute parts of his book's filters chapter.