httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy distinguish cookies?
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 11:47:45 GMT
Neil Gunton wrote:

>>Rather just use URL parameters. As I recall RFC2616 does not consider a
>>request with a different cookie a different variant, so even if you
>>patch your server to allow it to differentiate between cookies, neither
>>the browsers nor the transparent proxies in the path of the request will
>>do what you want them to do :(

> Well, that truly sucks. If you pass options around in params then
> whenever someone follows a link posted by someone else, they will
> inherit that person's options. The only alternative might be to make
> pages 'No-Cache' and then set the 'AccelIgnoreNoCache' mod_accel
> directive (which I haven't tried, but I assume that's what it does)...
> so even though my server will get hit a lot more, at least it might be
> stopped by the proxy rather than hitting the mod_perl.

This is probably your best bet.

> From what you are saying, it would appear that HTTP is broken with
> regard to cookies and caching. I thought they had all that sorted out a
> while back. Never mind...

I would disagree - if a proxy on the net cached every variant of every
page simply based on a cookie header, there would so many different
variants of the same page in the cache that from a system resource
perspective the cache might as well not be there. Cookies only make
sense in most cases when caching has been switched off, as the cookie is
usually targeted at that single user only.

Your application is a unique one, in that you're trying to improve the
performance of a single server on the net. This should be done within
the design of that server, not by trying to change the RFC to accomodate
what is a special case.

Regards,
Graham