httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Sysoev ...@rambler-co.ru>
Subject Re: mod_proxy distinguish cookies?
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 12:36:28 GMT
On Wed, 5 May 2004 TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> Few people know this but Microsoft Internet Explorer and other
> major browsers only PRETEND to support "Vary:".
>
> In MSIE's case... there is only 1 value that you can use with
> "Vary:" that will cause MSIE to make any attempt at all to
> cache the response and/or deal with a refresh later.
>
> That value is "User-Agent".
>
> MSIE treats all other "Vary:" header values as if it
> received "Vary: *" and will REFUSE to cache that
> response at all.

I did not check the "Vary: User-Agent" header value but as far as I know
MSIE 5.5 and 6.x could cache the response with ANY "Vary" header value
if that response contains the "Content-Encondig: gzip" or
probably other cachable extentions. MSIE 4.x always sends
"If-Modified-Since" for these cached responses.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/