httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject UseCanonicalName Off
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 21:47:13 GMT
In the 2.1 STATUS file we see:

     * When UseCanonicalName is set to OFF, allow ap_get_server_port to
       check r->connection->local_addr->port before defaulting to
       server->port or ap_default_port()

This is, in fact, the behavior in 1.3.31... The idea being
that with UseCanonicalName Off, we rely on what the client
tells us, so even when it doesn't explicitly tell us
a port number, we use the port number that we are
talking to it on, which would make sense.

However, I can also see cases where this may be confusing
or not-desired, so I would propose another option
for UseCanonicalName, like 'Client' which would be
the 1.3.31 method and the 2.1 method. This would
address the issues that the implementation in 1.3.31
and 2.1 were designed to handle, but also allow the
old "traditional" Off behavior... I'm proposing
this both for 2.0 as well as 1.3.32-dev.

Comments??