httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <san...@temme.net>
Subject Re: WebDAV and reading / writing files as system users
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 06:14:32 GMT
On Apr 29, 2004, at 10:59 PM, Amit Athavale wrote:

>  May be DAV ACL is the way to go ?
>
>  AFAIK WebDAV+ACL+some kind authentication serves the purpose where
> each
>  user having it own area and he can play with permissions of files and
> yet you have
>  private repository and user doesn't have a clue of how the back-end
> storage is
>  managed !

That is in fact what happens with Apache + mod_dav. You manage the
access control using restrictions in your httpd.conf, .htaccess files
etc. Where Apache gets the Authentication data doesn't really matter:
its own password file, /etc/passwd or PAM, with the appropriate
modules. It is responsible for enforcing the Authorization and Access
control, and then writes everything as the web server user. This is
actually not very different from what the kernel does: in the end the
files are just bits on a disk and the unix AAA model we build is very
much an artefact that said kernel enforces.

I have worked on a product that contained an Apache-based FTP module
with the same AAA model, and people found this "the web server owns
everything" idea hard to grasp.

S.