httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: WebDAV and reading / writing files as system users
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:09:13 GMT
André Malo wrote:

> Hmm. I suspect, the difference is, that Apache was never designed to run as
> root.

You're assuming the root account is the most damaging account to
compromise. In the case of a fileserver, you will very likely want some
files kept more private than others. If I as a hacker wanted to steal
private data from an Apache + DAV fileserver, and all the files were
owned by user "apache", I would simply need to compromise the "apache"
account to have complete unrestricted access to all data on the server.
So, in a fileserver environment, hacking "apache" would be as
disasterous as hacking "root". On this basis I would argue that _in a
fileserver environment_ "all files under one account" is less secure
(aka more risky) than system based file ownerships.

Regards,
Graham