httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject WebDAV and reading / writing files as system users
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:50:19 GMT
Hi all,

I am busy researching the idea of an Apache + DAV server that would do
the job of what a typical Samba server does now - file sharing. An
Apache server would have the advantage of native SSL support, flexible
authentication configuration, etc.

One thing I would like to be able to do is have the DAV server read and
write files as system users, along the lines of what suexec achieves for
cgi programs. Obviously the DAV server would need to run as root (or
have some mechanism like suexec) in order to achieve this, and would
probably be set up as a private stripped down DAV-only server hiding
behind a reverse proxy of some kind in order to improve security.

The perchild mpm seems to be the closest thing to what I am looking for,
but the manual warns that it is not functional. Is this still the case?

Can perchild support the idea of becoming a user specified via an auth
module using something like basic authentication?

Regards,
Graham